Known as an adaptogen, Ashwagandha is a popular herb used and valued for its neuroprotective, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is called, “strength of the stallion”, because of its well-known ability to strengthen the immune system after an illness, helping the body to bounce back strongly.
The name is derived from two words, Ashya (horse) and Gandha (smell). It basically describes the smell of its roots which is known to have a strong horse-like aroma. With recent developments in medicine, Ashwagandha is now available in the form of supplements which also give us the same benefits as with the plant.
• It helps lower cortisol – Several studies have been made and showed that individuals who took supplements with Ashwagandha had reduced cortisol “stress hormones” by 30% on average. It improves the person’s resistance towards stress and anxiety, thereby improving one’s quality of life.
• Ashwagandha has shown to lower the blood sugar levels – The supplementation of Ashwagandha shows effects on insulin sensitivity and excretion.
• It helps increase muscle and strength – A study made with healthy men showed that taking Ashwagandha significantly helped in greater gains in muscle size and strength and also helps to reduce body fat which has been known to inspire vigor and strength.
• Known as a Testosterone booster, Ashwagandha helps increase fertility in men. It significantly boosts sperm quality and increases testosterone levels. The supplement form has a powerful effect on reproductive health because it is believed to increase sperm count and motility.
• Harmonize mind, body, and spirit – Ashwagandha has shown good effects for mood stabilization. It helps reduce symptoms and attacks as it suppresses the stimulatory hormones, namely cortisol. It increases resilience to stress and serum cortisol levels were reduced substantially on patients with anxiety. While it stabilizes your mood, it also gives our body and immune system ability to bounce back and recover especially after illness or surgery. It strengthens our immunity against the common flu, coughs and colds, and other infections. Ashwagandha supplement will be our aid to tonify our immune system.
• Helps reduce Inflammation – Our immune cells fight infection and help us to stay healthy. Supplementation of Ashwagandha has shown to increase the activity of natural killer cells. It helps to decrease the markers of inflammation which are linked to increased risk of heart disease. Ashwagandha and anti-inflammatory properties acts to speed up the production of prostaglandins, which are pro-inflammatory chemicals.
• Enhances brain and memory function - When supplemented with Ashwagandha, it demonstrates significant improvements on cognitive performance and memory. It is shown to improve general memory, task performance, and attention. There is an increase in the speed of information processing, executive functioning and sustained attention. This is because Ashwagandha is found to enhance the regeneration of neurons and synapses reconstruction, hence, boosting the brain function and contributing in memory enhancement.
• It may lower Cholesterol and Triglycerides – Studies conducted showed that supplementing with Ashwagandha helped reduce blood fats. It lowers cholesterol and triglycerides which then results in the decreased risk of heart disease.
Ashwagandha supplements are widely available nowadays and have been guaranteed to be safe on individuals. There are several health benefits acquired from supplementing it in our daily lives. Taking steps to living a healthier life will never do you wrong. Our health should always be our top most priority. In addition to a healthy diet, choosing the right food, proper exercise or just by keeping yourself active, while incorporating Ashwagandha supplements will help build a better you. A healthy wellbeing starts from within.