5 Simple Ways to Reduce Stress & Be Happy!
Did you know that there's a silent killer right in your workplace?
It hangs heavily around our shoulders, sucks out our energy, and affects our concentration. Who is it? It's stress. Countless studies have shown that excessive stress can cause real physical medical symptoms such as upset stomachs, headaches, increased blood pressure, chest pain, trouble sleeping, anxiety, mood swings, and even depression.
Did you know?
Workplace stress is responsible for up to $198 billion dollars in annual U.S. healthcare costs.
Here are a few warning signs that you're too stressed out at work:
- Feeling Anxious
- Muscle Tension
- Social Withdrawal
- Apathy or Loss of Interest at Work
- Trouble Sleeping
- Problems Concentrating
- Stomach Issues
- Use of Drugs or Alcohol to Cope
Yikes, I'm stressed, what can I do? Don't fret! We've compiled a list of 5 simple ways to help you cope and reduce work-related stress:
Start Exercising (More)
- Exercise can help lift your mood, increase your energy, and sharpen your focus.
- Aim for a minimum of at least 30 minutes of activity each day.
- Reducing sugar intake can help you avoid energy crashes.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and other stimulants
- To improve your mood, eat more Omega-3 fatty acids
- Many turn to unhealthy comfort foods when stressed, however these foods only bring temporary relief and end up exacerbating the issue. These foods make us feel lethargic and less keen on tackling the tasks at work, which can in turn increase our stress.
Get Enough Sleep
- Make it your goal to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night.
- Turn off all & avoid looking at electronic devices 1 hour prior to going to bed.
- Stick to a sleep schedule; set your body's internal clock by going to bed at the same time every night. This can help you fall asleep and wake up every day at the same time without an alarm clock
- Take a nap - 15/20 minutes max. Don't over do it.
Be More Organized
- Prioritize your most important tasks & projects earlier in the work day.
- Make sure to take breaks throughout the day.
- Delegate tasks that you don't have to personally handle.
- Focus on 2-3 thing max! If everything's a priority, nothing is a priority.
- Make a to-do like to ensure that things get done and nothing slips through the cracks.
Kick Bad Habits
- Don't try to be a perfectionist, you will only be disappointed & more stressed out.
- Don't worry about things that are out of your control. Focus on what you can control - like your effort, attitude, and how we treat people.
- Stay positive - Expressing appreciation and gratitude for the people and things we're happy to have in our life can help adjust our outlook.
Although work-related stress is a serious issue, it is definitely something we can fix and overcome. Follow the 5 simple tips mentioned above, continue to have a balanced view of work in terms of our day to day life, and you will definitely conquer workplace stress and feel happier!